About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Friday 11 January 2013

Janathon 2013 Day 9 - An extended lunchtime run

In a bid to keep the double digit runstreak going I needed a minimum of 10 miles and this would have to be achieved at lunchtime today. I arrived at work early which would allow me sufficient time to get in the extra miles. I thought of running the same route as Monday evening but fancied something hillier so plotted a route using Gmap Pedometer a simple tool but sufficient for plotting out a route.

The weather was much colder today and the morning's fog hadn't lifted, so with the route in mind I set off at a quickish pace so I could get the 10 miles done in around 1:15 to 1:20. The first couple of miles I got into a good rhythm before the gradual climb up the A54. Half way up the climb I spotted several people clad in leather biking gear standing by the road. As I got closer I spotted one motorbike in the hedges on a sharp bend. A quick word with the guy who had come off to see if everything was ok, he was just a bit shaken and was waiting for someone to pick them up.

Off the main road and the next couple of miles downhill saw the quickest two miles of the year so far in 6:56 and 6:53. I pretty much knew most of this route having run bits of it on different forays from the office so knew after the quick spurt it was now a steady climb of 250ft over the next mile. Once at the top it was a quick downhill again in 6:58! Into the last couple of miles and the only thing of note was a tractor going down the lane pulling a container that was spewing something all over a field. With the crosswind there was sufficient 'blowback' to stop me in my tracks, whereupon the farmer noticed and turned off the said machine and I was on my way again.

Another 10.7 miles on the board and I think most definitely the longest run I've done at a lunchtime...

Stats
Runstreak: Day 589
Distance: 10.71 miles
Time: 1:18:09
Elevation: 715ft
Janathon Total Distance: 111.20 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment