About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Sunday 13 January 2013

Janathon 2013 Day 12 - Through the airport tunnels


Ever since the death of my father-in-law in October last year, we spend a fair amount of time visiting my mother-in-law. Saturday afternoon was no exception and since my run there on Thursday evening, this was the turn for running home. Again I have a myriad of routes and took a slightly less direct route that would see me achieve my required distance of over 10 miles.

I set off down the back lanes and the after the first two miles it brought me to the first of two tunnels that pass directly under the two runways. The first is under the newer 2nd runway and is very brightly lit with a host of graffiti decorating the whitewashed walls. As usual the Garmin lost its satellite reception and then as soon as I exited the tunnel the mileage jumped up the 0.2 of a mile once the satellite was found again! The second tunnel was negotiated bringing up 3 miles.

A steep down then up and a winding country lane brought me out to the Ashley crossroads. I had been noticing for a while a dull pain in my right buttock (more probably a gluteal muscle tear after referring to the 'tinterweb) it was uncomfortable but not really bothering me too much. I slowed the pace down so as to not to bother it further. I turned towards Mobberley and on approaching a tight bend, could see two cars coming towards me. I stopped and stood into the hedge, the first car saw me and slowed right down. The car behind was oblivious to this and had to slam on his brakes. Being right alongside I was sure of an imminent collision! Luckily he stopped 6 inches behind, I glanced at the driver and we went on our separate ways. The joys of running down country lanes at night :)

Once through Mobberley it was into Knutsford and finally home in just short of 11 miles. A good overall pace in the end although the muscle pain was annoying. In the evening the wife and I met up with a couple who are returning to Calgary to live and enjoyed a few drinks. I knew the 100 mile week wasn't likely now as it meant 23 miles to be run on the Sunday and didn't want to put further strain on the gluteal muscles!


Stats
Runstreak: Day 592
Distance: 10.86 miles
Time: 1:22:41
Elevation: 226ft
Janathon Total Distance: 152.17 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment