About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Janathon 2013 Day 13 - A slow frozen field and lane trudge

A cold night on Saturday led to a sharp frost on Sunday morning, time to keep off road and a jaunt round the fields. With the gluteal pain I wasn't about to go out and run 23 miles to bring up 100 miles for the week, but instead I would just take it steady! I knew I had what was needed for that elusive 100 mile week, it would come in time. I had noticed that my watch was signalling low battery as I set off, I'm usually pretty good at keeping it charged so took my phone as well to ensure a full set of stats were recorded for the Janathon scrutineers!

The first couple of miles were pretty slippery and the gluteal pain was making its presence felt, keeping the pace down helped so with going off road it would definitely help achieve this. I headed along the old farmers track and the once muddy route was now a combination of ice and mud. It actually made for a more easier run. After crossing the main road, I took the seldomly used route along a path going through someone's garden. The fields beyond this made for very slow going as even though the field was covered in frost the mud was very much to the fore. Once out of the fields a gentle trot along the lane led to a nice undulating route through a wood with a great view of Jodrell Bank with the sun shining brightly behind it. The path got ever slower having to weave round or straight through the icy puddles.


Out on to the country lanes again and on approaching 8 miles I noticed that the watch had now exhausted the battery! I would have to rely on my phone and upload the stats back to Garmin Connect. I continued on past Peover church climbing over several very slippery stiles. The final 2 miles were back along the same main road as I had started the run on and ended up with another 11 miles on the board for an 88 mile week. I was very pleased with this and think the 100 mile week would have definitely been on if I had done some double days, rather trying to do the distance in just 7 runs!

As a side note, for all you statistic fans out there, I downloaded the gpx file from Endomondo, the app I was using on my phone and uploaded it to Garmin Connect as in the link below. Interestingly it shows the whole route as 1 lap, whereas when uploading it to Strava, it gives the complete mile splits: Strava - Day 13

Stats
Runstreak: Day 593
Distance: 11.00 miles
Time: 1:39:27
Elevation: 192ft
Janathon Total Distance: 163.17 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment