About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Sunday 6 January 2013

Janathon 2013 Day 5 - Macclesfield Town 2 - 0 Cardiff City


On the menu for today was a trip to see Macclesfield Town vs Cardiff City in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. With some chores to do in the morning, an early morning run was on the cards. After a night out on Friday with the wife and some friends and half a bottle of wine (Note: lightweight drinker) I decided an early morning dash could wait. On reflection this would have been the best option as now the run would have to be done early evening after the football.

On to the football and my son was very excited for the match. We were seated in the Silk FM Stand, a change from the larger stand but with a much better view. There was a great atmosphere inside the ground with double the normal attendance. An evenly matched first half with plenty of childish banter between the supporting groups of fans! In the 57th minute Cardiff scored and I thought 'Oh well, it was good whilst it lasted.' Macc had other ideas and a full on onslaught in the remainder of the match yielded a goal in the 83rd minute. "Yes, we've got a replay now". A frantic 7 minutes ensued and we were awarded a penalty in the 88th minute!! GOAL: 2-1 to Macc, the crowd erupted!! The 4th official held up his board to show 5 mins of added time, we held on and meant we were through to the 4th round for the first time in over 130 years!! 

On the drive home the run was nagging in the back of my mind, could I stick to my streak of double digit runs for the year, meaning a minimum of 10 miles? A cup of tea and piece of cake when I got home and thought, yep, I'll do one of my 10 mile loops. I put my lighter road shoes on and thought we'll make it a quicker run so that I could get back to eat at a reasonable time. The chosen route was the 8 mile 'Fruit Farm Loop' with the added 2 mile extension thru Plumley. I've run this route many times, so even with a headtorch on I could still run this at a quick pace. 

Once on the country lanes, the sky yielded an array of stars, it was a beautiful night for running! There were still a lot of houses with all their Christmas lights a blazing, on what was now the 11th day. On I went keeping a steady pace and then noticed 2 cones on either side of the road. I realised there placement when I nearly went flying, tripping over a metal strip that had been placed between them. Another near 'trip' happened at 8 miles when an unspotted pothole nearly threw me off my stride. Into the final mile and I kept to the furthest side from the house to ensure I ended up with the watch stopping at 10... rather than 9.9... Another double digit run done to end a good day.

Stats
Runstreak: Day 585
Distance: 10.02 miles
Time: 1:12:33
Janathon Total Distance: 62.21 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment