About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Sunday 13 January 2013

Janathon 2013 Day 11 - The long way round to the office

After the run from the office yesterday it meant a run back in the morning. My usual route varies between 13 and 14 miles, there are small nuances that make the distance vary. I would certainly keep my double digit streak going and in my quest for a 100 mile week (it ended up as 88) I planned a route that I thought would be 16-17 miles. I awoke before the alarm, had a cup of tea and bowl of porridge. It had been raining overnight and had thankfully stopped as I set off out the door.

I kept the pace nice and steady as I usually end up getting carried away on my runs. This was easy to do for the first 6 miles as the fog was still thick and it was still properly dark. I continued through Chelford and kept to the quiet back lanes, it was at this point I diverted from my usual route. A short stint up the A34, thankfully on a seldomly used footpath and then back onto the country lanes towards Redesmere lake.

This lake and the surrounding area is a haven for birds and a large gathering of swans slipped into the water as I went past. In a bid to not repeat the missed lane from the previous night I had paid close attention to the next combination of quiet lanes that I had never run down before. All went well, some nice quiet lanes passing by some stunning farm conversions which brought me out to a junction that I drive past on the way to the office. The watch was at 12 miles now, straight across to the office would end up with about 15 miles, going left I estimated at 17. 

I opted to go left and the now wider and busier lane led me another 2 miles to another junction that I knew was 4 miles to the office meaning 18 for the morning, a few more than expected!! There was a lot more traffic and I certainly had to keep my eyes peeled, several close passes left me jumping on to the grass verge or holding onto a hedge! I was now getting hungry and was glad when I got to the office, arriving there at 8:45. An enjoyable run which brought up 65 miles for the week...

Stats
Runstreak: Day 591
Distance: 18.26 miles
Time: 2:21:51
Elevation: 565ft
Janathon Total Distance: 141.31 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment