About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Wednesday 9 January 2013

Janathon 2013 Day 7 - An office 10 miler and flies in Waitrose

As has become customary with my many days on the runstreak - nearly up to 600 days now, I try to keep the runs varied so that it keeps the runstreak interesting. Today's run was going to be after work and with my wife going to the gym I thought I'd do a run from the office on a combination of two of our lunchtime routes.

I needed to be back to the office at 7 so set off at 5:45 with the plan of a 10 miler to keep the double digits streak intact! The first couple of miles up the farmers track was a very muddy affair and my ever weakening headtorch making it interesting. A steady undulating country lane section brought up 5 miles of our standard lunchtime 10k route and mile 2 of our 7 mile route. So continuing onto the 7 mile lunchtime route would give me the required distance!

The route was all the more different from being run in the dark as I had only ever run this route at lunchtime. There was nothing much more interesting to say about the run, some more muddy lanes up and down, over the railway line and up again to the main road. That uphill section is on one of my segments in Strava and ended up being my 2nd fastest! The last two miles mainly downhill to the office and another 10+ miles on the board.

With all this running, I need to keep my cakes level up so on the way home visited Waitrose for the much eluded to 'cheap' pastries. There was a veritable display, so I pondered my selection whereupon the Waitrose man (WM) behind the counter said he was going to have to remove them as he had seen a fly landing on them. The conversation went something like this:

WM: I have seen a fly landing on all the pastries, we can't sell them, so I'm going to have to remove them.
Me: Oh (sad face).
WM: Which one were you after?
Me: This one (points to cake).
WM: I didn't see the fly land on that one.
Me: Cool (bags pastry and heads for the checkout)

Stats
Runstreak: Day 587
Distance: 10.17 miles
Time: 1:15:57
Janathon Total Distance: 86.73 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment