About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Friday 24 June 2011

Day 24 - Friday biscuits

Mmmm biscuits...

On the way in to work this morning, I knew we were low on milk, so stopped by a purveyor of the said 'cow juice' and exited the shop accompanied by a packet of the above custard creams. The office biscuit tin had been empty for a while now and I thought I would reward myself after a lunchtime run with a few of the aforementioned items! On the menu for today was a 7 mile loop taking in the village of North Rode, along the canal and back to the office.

I set off at 12:30, the weather not too bad, I thought it would have been warmer having watched the forecast. The first couple of miles took in the country lanes leading to the small village of North Rode before a steep descent down to the busy A54. I have run many of these lanes before and the easiest way of getting to the canal from here is about a mile along the main road. I quickened the pace along the road to get to the canal only to be greeted by a group of walkers who stopped to ask me directions to the Robin Hood pub. I gave them a blank expression and told them I was unsure of its location!

On to the canal and it was a nice 2.5 mile stretch under the viaduct and the gradual climb up the path through the Bosley Locks. Before the start of the climb there is a nice wooden bridge that traverses a section of the canal that can be flooded in heavy rain. In the distance you can just make out the Croker Hill transmitter, my conquest on Tuesday night!

Wooden bridge...
There was much boat activity on the canal with boats in both directions negotiating the locks. In the distance I could see two couples sitting in chairs blocking the path. As I got closer they moved to one side and raised their glasses (beer) and said 'pit stop?'. I smiled graciously (I've got a Juneathon to get done, I thought to myself) thanked them and continued on along the path. The steady pace 7-8 minute miles continued along the canal and then back on the lane for the final mile and a half back to the office... and the biscuits...

Stats
Distance: 7.02 miles
Time: 54:30
Juneathon Total Distance: 208.73 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment