About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Day 28 - Running in the park with the deers

Tatton Park restrictions...
So, only 3 runs left and I was thinking of runs I had done in the past but hadn't included in the Juneathon. One of the great places to run is Tatton Park, I had briefly run through on Day 5 in the rain but hadn't done the proper loop over the far side of the park. So my son was playing football with a friend tonight at the local sports club nearby to the park, I'll drop you off, leave the car there and go for a run. I had until 7:30, so that gave me an hour and a quarter, enough for 8 or 9 miles.

I set off through Knutsford and a mile later entered the park at the far end. I was greeted by the sign above, gently reminding the parkgoer of the early closing! A park ranger would do the rounds nearer the closing time to ensure no one is 'locked' in (the gates are quite high to climb over!). The full loop round the perimeter is 8 miles, so given it was now only 30 minutes to closing time I decided to run the 3 miles to the Rostherne entrance. The right-hand side of the park starts at the bottom of Tatton Mere which was looking beautiful in the evening sun.

Tatton Mere
This side of the park is totally different and much quieter than the road and paths on the left-hand side where the bulk of the people wander. This leaves the more remote part of the park quieter and is often a good spot to find the many deer that live in the park. On through the park at a nice steady pace, a sunny evening now, totally different from yesterday! My first sightings of some deer, as this was calving season, there had been some new fencing put in so the deer could have their own refuge.

Evening...
It was nearly 6:50 and a mile left to go before the park closed. I spotted the ranger's truck doing it's rounds and upped the pace and out of the Rostherne exit. I continued on through the village and towards the Mere up a steep lane whereby you are afforded with great views over the lake. I chose the footpath to go and take a photo. My price for this was a quarter of a mile of waist height nettles to wade through, my legs were tingling all over after this (must remember a machete next time).

Rostherne Mere
Out of the lane and it's then a mile up the very busy A556. Fortunately there is a small path at the side to keep a buffer zone between me and the lorries. The final two miles headed back through Mere and then the final run back to the sports club. A quick look at the mileage and it was reading 8.95 miles, a quick lap of the car park and 9 miles (every little helps!). 2 days to go...

Stats
Distance: 9.00 miles
Time: 1:10:46
Juneathon Total Distance: 248.49 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment