About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Sunday 19 June 2011

Day 19 - A speedy Fathers Day 10

At the crossroads...
The original plan for today was a very early run before we had to leave for the Race For Life 10K at 9:30 that my wife was taking part in. I was feeling tired and decided to run later in the day, which later on I had wished I had gone first thing, oh well! A good morning was had supporting my wife and her sister at the Race For Life. It is a very well organised event for Cancer Research, which is a very worthwhile cause. I think everyone knows someone who has been affected by cancer.

A nice afternoon as it was Fathers Day and at the back of my mind I was thinking 'gonna need to get my Juneathon run in!'. Finally at 6 o'clock, it was now or never and I had time to 'knock' out a quick 10 miles. I didn't fancy fiddling around in long grass as per the previous two sessions, so decided to keep this an all road affair around the country lanes of Ollerton, Marthall and Over Peover. A steady first mile which then lead into a series of sub 7 minute miles arriving at the crossroads above at around 4.5 miles. I thought to myself, if I keep this pace up we could be on for sub 70 minute 10 miler, the halfway point was reached in 35:04!

Jodrell Bank in all its glory
In to the second half of the run and most of the clouds had dispersed and the sun was now making it a very warm run. I was now running past Jodrell Bank which today was tilted into it's most vertical position, and a quick photo so as not to slow the pace! Mile 7 turned out to be the quickest at 6:35, leaving me under 21 minutes to complete the final 3 miles. It had been a while since I had run this pace in training, this pace is usually reserved for races! Feeling very warm now I kept my head down and bashed out the remaining miles with the 'Endomondo woman' signifying 10 miles in 1:09:43, phew I had done it!

Not the initial plan for a run today but more than enjoyable nonethless, there's still speed in those legs yet! This brought the mileage up to a nice round 60 for the week and over 170 now for Juneathon. 11 days to go, who knows what my finishing total will be?...

Stats
Distance: 10.04 miles
Time: 1:09:43
Juneathon Total Distance: 170.44 miles

2 comments:

  1. Another speedy run, well deserving of your 2nd place in the ' table if doom'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great effort when you'd already run 50 miles this week!

    ReplyDelete