About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Saturday 4 June 2011

Signs

After yesterdays easy 6 miler, the planned route today called for 10 miles around the country lanes with plenty of field crossings. I knew it was going to be a warm one out there, but thought I'd manage without taking any water! Out the door and off down the road, the first three miles done in around 7.20 pace. Whoaa! hold on, I'm not supposed to be going this fast today. I knew this pace would soon come down once I went over the first stile and into the farmers field through a large patch of stinging nettles - ouch.

The next couple of miles took me toward the small village of Pickmere and through the Chesire Showground. The next trick was to negotiate the electric fence with thanks to this helpful sign. I have usually attacked this fence from the opposite direction and have completely missed the sign resulting in an unorthodox limbo under the said barrier! The showground was busy being prepared for the coming Cheshire Show in a couple of weeks time. Onwards along the gravelly track, on which I think I must have felt every stone under my foot, the sun was getting warmer. The decision to run without water wasn't seeming like such a good idea now. Across the busy A556 and a short descent down to a brook had me wading through knee high grass which was very wet from the overnight dew.

With now squelching feet it was in to the final three miles mostly off road. Through the farm I now had the pleasure of being accompanied by the local farm dog - the gate obviously to keep the cattle in. This said dog has on previous occasions run with me for several miles. Having tried to send the dog back home with phrases like 'Oooh dog - home' he was far too happy in trotting along beside me. After half a mile the dog made an excursion into the wood and now back onto the country lane, that was the last I saw of him. Through the final fields skirting the railway line and over the M6 into the final mile I was feeling very warm but the legs felt fine. Another enjoyable run done - 4 down 26 to go...

Stats
Distance: 10.12 miles
Time: 1:23:35
Juneathon Total Distance: 27.43 miles

1 comment:

  1. Good run Andrew, I can't go without water. Get a Camelbak. Would not be without mine :)

    ReplyDelete