About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Day 14 - Up a big hill!

I was all changed to go running this morning but needed to connect to the server in the office first to check on the progress of some overnight changes. Damn! an error to fix, it needed to be sorted there and then so had to put the run on hold. I'll have to go in the evening again (2 days in a row). The weather was glorious today so was disapointed to have not gone out in the morning. Lunchtime brought a welcome change with a trip to the pub as we had a client in the office today. 'Are you having a drink?' 'Oh go on then I'll have a pint!' I've got plenty of time for the effects to wear off before the evening run (what a lightweight!).

With the office quite close to Macclesfield, I thought I would drive up to Macc Forest and hit the trails. There is some great running to be had, with a myriad of trails winding high up to the top of the forest. I parked up and headed off, running around Ridgegate Reservoir, then onto the big climb. The trails were in good condition and cater for mountain bikes so are mainly gravel. I decided the goal was to climb all the way to the top of Shutlingsloe (the highest point in Cheshire at 506m or 1660ft in English money!) Starting off at around 750ft I knew I was in for a good hilly test!

Going up...
...and up!
I wound my way up the trail gradually climbing at around 10min per mile pace. Once at the top of the forest I got to the gate that leads to the stepping stones that lead across the marshy fields all the way to the bottom of the final steep climb to the top of Shutlingsloe. The final 200 metres are hands on knees stuff, climbing up the large boulders to the top. Once at the top a quick breather to admire the view!

Stepping stones...
...at the top!
Having worked one set of muscles, it was the turn for a different set on the descent back down through the forest. I think steep descending can be just as hard (even harder) then going up. I took it steady going down across the stepping stones, there were lots of loose stones and sand, ideal for slipping over. Now back down into the forest I took the right trail to go around the other side. Flying down the gravel tracks a couple of mountain bikers flew past! Out to the furthest point of the forest, there is a great view of the Buxton road weaving it's way up to the Cat and Fiddle pub. A left turn onto the steep road and back on to the trail for the final descent down to the reservoir.

Going down...
...across a brook
The trails are narrow now and wind through the trees, lots of stones and routes, this is what running is all about!! Finally the trail leads back out on to the road and the final half a mile back to the reservoir and the car. Phew, that was a good 6 miles in just under an hour!

Stats
Distance: 6.07 miles
Time: 58:09
Juneathon Total Distance: 120.83 miles

4 comments:

  1. Good work, the views at the top must be worth it. The downhills are often tougher than the ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in my mountain running days I always found the downhill bits the hardest!
    Now I just find all of it hard! Doh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great trail run Andrew, brilliant !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Andrew. I admire your tenacity on this Juneathon thing!
    I generally find the downhills easier than the ups. Quads of steel and total confidence in shoes/grip/foot-placement are what you need.

    ReplyDelete