About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Sunday 1 January 2012

Janathon Day 1 - Off we go


Well here we are into a New Year and what I started back in the Juneathon has now merged into the Janathon!! The intervening days has meant today, although being Day 1, was in fact my 215th day of continous running. This has been a remarkable and rewarding experience resulting in several great PB's from the marathon up to 50 miles. All this has been helped greatly by the support from my followers on Twitter and has spurned a number of others to start their own runstreaks!

So on to today's run and having stayed up (waiting for midnight) to watch the fireworks (I'm not getting any younger) the plan was to head out first thing and rack up 10-15 miles depending on how I felt. With all the continual running I have a myriad of tried and tested routes, so went off on my 10 mile 'deaf dog' route (more about the deaf dog another day). Along I 'trotted' (circa 7min mile pace, I tend to get carried away sometimes!) and before I knew it had reached 8 miles in just under an hour. The roads had been exceptionally quiet even thought it was now 9.30. I was still feeling good so instead of heading on home to complete the 10 miles, I decided to 'tack' on the 'Fruit Farm' loop which would give me around 15 miles for the day.

The weather up to now had been mild but overcast and started to rain a little, I slowed down a bit as the pace was getting a bit too quick (I didn't want to overcook it on Day 1, I mean 215!!). In to the last two miles and I made a slight deviation to see if Costa Coffee was open, result, it was. I would return here with the wife after the run as she had been out on her bike as well. I got home and stopped the watch (I mean phone) and had logged 15 miles in 1:47 and change. Very pleased with that and a good start to the Janathon. With the following visit to Costa and then a New Years hot and cold running buffet at the in-laws this afternoon/evening, an all in all good day.

Stats
Distance: 15.02 miles
Time: 1:47:10
Janathon Total Distance: 15.02 miles
Streak Total Distance: 1640 miles

5 comments:

  1. More miles than our Aussie friend! Well done on a fantastic start to #Janathon and an amazing runstreak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also deviated to Costa at the end of a run to see if it was open...and it was! Hurrah for Costa!

    Awesome run, I think it's incredible you've done 215 days in a row of non-stop running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive Andrew. Were you picturing your Costa coffee to get you through it?! Have you found your pace has increased as a result of 215 continuous days running, or is there some other technique you’ve used?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Costa, now that brings back memories of the old country. Can we swap weather please? And...do have any intention of resting on Feb 1st or are you going to keep it up as long as you can? Along with everyone else, very impressed. I'll skip the Gump references that I'm sure you've endured for months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I'm impressed, wish I could get to that standard!!! I only started running in May 2011 and finding it difficult! I'm hoping this janathon will help my speed and endurance!!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete