About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Monday 23 January 2012

Janathon Day 23 - A simple 7 down the lanes


So it's the start of the 4th full week of the Janathon and I'd managed to 'scrape' together 223 miles so far. With my initial secret goal of 300 miles, that meant another 7 for today would equal 230 for 23 days, right on track - simple. The weather during the morning was a mixture of sunshine and light showers. Approaching 'run-time' and the heavens opened and a biblical downpour ensued. Now I am not one to shy away from rain but I thought I'd give it 5 minutes before I went out. This turned out to be a stroke of genius as the clouds opened up to reveal a sunny blue sky!

As mentioned in previous posts we have a number of routes, in this bag there are a couple of infrequently run 7 milers, I decided on the country lane route. I set off down the the lane from the office and continued to the very end where it joins the main road. The road was a minefield of large puddles which I circumnavigated where possible. A short spell on the main road led me to a blast down a very narrow lane above. It's very rare to meet cars on this 'road' so was suprised to have to 'squeeze' past 3 in the space of one mile. I would later realise that this lane was one of the official diversions past Gawsworth as the road is closed because of bridge repairs. Heaven help if two cars had to pass each other!!

Out of the narrow lane and past the 4 mile mark and it was a gentle downhill all the way to the village of Gawsworth itself. I stepped up the pace and managed to throw in a cheeky 6:49 mile, I should have kept an eye on the time and gone a bit quicker and I would have been able to log another #MagicMile. On past the picturesque church and lake, I shall never tire of running past here, and back on to the main road. The final mile back along to the office and it brought up 7.2 miles and the rain was avoided completely...

Stats
Distance: 7.20 miles
Time: 53:28
Janathon Total Distance: 230.36 miles
Streak Total Distance: 1853 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment