About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Janathon Day 17 - The cold run back


No sooner had I refuelled from last nights run home, then the alarm went off early this morning for the return journey. The two back to back runs would equate to a marathon distance over a 12 hour period. I checked the temperature (-1) and looked out the window 'not as much frost as yesterday' I thought to myself. I had even managed to get some washing done and dried overnight so that I had my optimum long sleeve running top ready for the run! A bowl of porridge (blueberry and apple), not sure I like the combination, my daughter likes it anyway and then out the door.

The journey to the office always seems to take about 5-10 minutes longer, mainly due to a) it being run in the morning and b) the net elevation gain of approx 250 feet. I decided on a route similar to last night but taking in a few more of the off-road sections. The first 5 miles into Chelford was this time achieved along the main road, a surprising amount of cars for this early hour. I don't think my legs were fully awake yet and I 'plodded' this section at a more leisurely 8:30 pace.

A slight deviation to last night's route saw the next 3 miles traversing some farmers fields. This is usually a very muddy route and the two steep drops were completely frozen which made for a slippery descent. This section affords great views towards the hills at the start of the Peak District, the outline being picked out by a red glow from the slow rising sun. I seemed to be getting colder and once on to the country lanes, upped the pace a bit. A short stint down the very busy A34 (on a sheltered footpath) and a busy country lane, led me to the final 3 miles mainly off-road that I had covered just 12 hrs previously.

Now in to proper daylight I could see the deeply rutted track through the woods that I had managed to negotiate on the way home. It was a good job I couldn't see all of the holes as there were plenty of places to sprain an ankle. I was feeling pretty good by now and enjoyed the last couple of miles along the farm track. I was spotted by 3 playful dogs who zoomed across the field from their owner to greet me. This time merely an inquisitive sniff and then retreating when their owner bellowed out to them.

At the office and a very welcome hot shower soon warmed me up. To my delight there was a 'sleeve' of chocolate weetabix nestling at the back of the cupboard. I availed myself of three of the said fellas and aided by a cup of tea was now feeling fully recharged. This quelling of hunger was short-lived so I was then counting on the 'sandwich lady' bringing a van of delight so that I could supplement my meagre sandwich which had taken a bit of a battering at the bottom of my camelbak. I was not to be disappointed and a bacon, sausage and cheese bap was purchased and hit the spot perfectly.

So 2 days done this week and already 26.5 miles on the board, shaping up nicely for a big mileage week...

Stats
Distance: 13.03 miles
Time: 1:53:20
Janathon Total Distance: 177.04 miles
Streak Total Distance: 1800 miles

3 comments: