About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Sunday 15 January 2012

Janathon Day 15 - It only hurts when I walk...


Another frost overnight meant it was going to be a beautiful cold morning. I didn't think I could repeat last Sundays marathon and as my knee was still stiff had decided on my 14 mile 'airport loop'. My main goal was to keep my runstreak going so didn't want to jeopardise it for the sake of the Janathon. The 14 miles would bring up 150 miles for 15 days and still on my unofficial 'target' of 300 miles.

I decided to wear my new Adidas Kanadia's, this would be their longest outing, the furthest they had been was 6 miles. The route took me through Knutsford and then into Tatton Park. After half a mile my knee loosened up and was feeling ok, after 2 miles I entered the park and what a glorious setting it was. I passed several runners whom I greeted with a cheery 'morning' only to be met with silence! Out of the park and the next mile and a half is along the completely straight perimeter road. A few twists and turns and up to Ashley station at 6 miles in 46 minutes.

The next two miles along country lanes and the knee was feeling good and at a nice pace (good fun this running lark!). I entered the field which leads to the Manchester Airport Runway 2 trail, usually this is a real bog but was completely frozen, I didn't even get my shoes muddy!! The path then goes right past the end of the runway in between the landing lights, a plane was just landing, you could see the faces of the passengers (you couldn't really). I said hello to a man sporting a camera with the longest telephoto lens I have ever seen, who quickly reeled off a volley of photos of the said landing plane.

The trail carries on round the other side of the runway, but I left it at mile 10 of my run and headed back down the country lanes toward home. Round the Ilford site and then across the fields behind Booths Park, even these were frozen solid and eliminated the boggy mud. In to the final mile and a quick 7:17 mile to finish off the run. I was very pleased with the shoes and could probably have gone further.

Later this evening I spotted Gary (@LocalAdventures) had thrown down a 30 mile run, catapulting him to 151 miles and in to 2nd on the 'Table of Doom'. An awesome performance and has spiced up the battle for 2nd as Mr Foreman has now done a ridiculous 202 miles, can he be caught? Only time will tell, there's still another 16 days of this fun challenge to go...

Stats
Distance: 14.31 miles
Time: 1:50:45
Janathon Total Distance: 150.41 miles
Streak Total Distance: 1774 miles

2 comments:

  1. Great work Andrew. I went to Knutsford once and it was really nice. We visited a place near where Elizabeth Gaskell lived I think :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "cheery 'morning' only to be met with silence!" Some things are the same the world over. Mind you, if you try taking pics near Sydney airport you'd probabaly end up in Guantanamo. Look after that knee mate, loving the streak!

    ReplyDelete