About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Sunday 29 January 2012

Janathon Day 29 - The Muddy Trail to the In-Laws


In the interest of preventing the runstreak from becoming boring, I always grab the opportunity of a different run when it arises. Today was such a day as a visit to the in-laws (who live in Wilmslow) in the afternoon was on the cards. The direct road route is approximately 9 miles,  I was going for the more off-road 'scenic' version and hoping for around 12 miles.

I set off along the road and the initial traipse through Booths Park and the fields beyond. The fields were quite boggy, a sure sign of things to come. On along the trail which skirts around the Ilfords site, a little country lane and then to the start of the airport 'Runway 2 Trail'. I was here in 4 miles in 30 mins, now the fun would start!

I was now directly at the end of runway 2 and I took the trail towards the right which would keep me occupied for the next 3 miles. The previously frozen mud had re-melted and left the trail in a thick gloopy mess akin to a chocolate cake mix! I cautiously ambled along, the trail shoes gripping like a pair of carpet slippers! Then before you know it my legs went one way and I went the other! Thoughts of the runstreak flashed before my eyes before landing in a hedge with some thorns, ouch that would hurt! I sat for a few seconds and got up, all seemed to be in working order and so I trudged on extra carefully.


This gloop contributed for the next mile or so along the path adjacent to the runway. Then a steep drop down to the tunnel under the runway before the same steep climb the other side. On past the airport fire station and another short stretch of gloop before the steps down to the road. The last 2 miles coming in at an expensive 10:56 and 12:20.

After that excitement it was on to the next adventure through Styal Woods for 3 miles. The woods are a great haven of wildlife and the undulating trail winds it's way along the river Bollin before getting to Styal Mill and on to the Carrs. The first section was more of the same mud and involved descending and then re-ascending a set of 100 steps and then another set of 80 steps. Each of these ups and downs were greeted by a bridge crossing with names like Oxbow and Herons Reach.


After 2 miles I reached the actual village of Styal, complete with the original workers cottages for the labourers who used to work in the mill which is now a National Trust attraction. It is also home to the quaint Norcliffe Chapel and where I got married some 14 years ago! I stopped and took a quick photo and cast my mind back to that enjoyable day!


The final mile or so to the Carrs involved a steep pathway down past the mill and another wooded section. I took the path closest to the river and was blocked by a fallen tree which involved careful negotiation. I had now reached 10 miles and the in-laws house was just half a mile away up a rocky path.

I decided to continue across the Carrs - an area of parkland very popular with dog walkers, right in to the town itself. Once there I ran up the hill before turning back on myself to knock out a quick last mile in 7:07 along the side streets. I arrived at the in-laws wearing a lot of mud, whereupon a hot shower and tea and biscuits rounded off a very enjoyable excursion!!

Just 2 more days of the Janathon remain and just the simple task of 18 miles to bring up the 300...

Stats
Distance: 12.23 miles
Time: 1:47:32
Janathon Total Distance: 282.25 miles
Streak Total Distance: 1904 miles

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I love it! I ran at my inlaws Day 29 too! But I had no mud, just HILLS. And I didn't get any tea or biscuits. Instead, I got to make dinner, woo hoo. Oh, & I only ran 2.2 mi. instead of 12... minor detail, HA! Shocking total for the month, mister. Wow, congrats for that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Hennie, just read your report from yesterday's run, sounded hilly, well done :)

      Delete