About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Janathon Day 11 - Double Six


I apologise for the old football cliche but today's efforts on the roads was a day of two runs. With the ever increasing gap between myself and Messrs Foreman, which we jest about on a seemingly daily basis. I wanted around 12 miles in the bag today to keep the difference the same (not that this is a competition!!). I'd promised my boss and another colleague we were going to run at lunchtime, so that would be a 6 miler with the prospect of another 6 miler tonight - game on!

Run 1: The weather seems to know when we are running at lunchtime and treated us to another drizzly affair. It was always going to be a gentle run as my work colleague (Adam) was just returning back from injury and was embarking on his marathon training plan. We set of down the lane and witnessed two large tractors coming across each other, we weaved in between whilst they jostled for position. After the first mile the rain stopped and became quite warm, I am actually looking forward to the cold frosty weather scheduled for the weekend. On several occasions as we passed a couple of farms the 'fragrance' was quite overpowering. We were trotting along quite nicely at 9 min mile pace. We slowed a couple of times to let Adam catch up, he's a very determined chap and really wants the marathon. Since the injury, it's like starting again after he had achieved so much last time! Off the country lanes and back down towards the office we got back in around 54mins. A nice gentle run (for me) and always good to have company.

Run 2: The second of the two runs had me setting off from home at 7:45 after getting in from work. I was ready for something to eat so didn't want to hang around out there. I intended to run around 7:30 pace, a bit quicker if I was feeling like it. I always dislike the first mile and a half along the narrow pavement with my headtorch picking out the way only to be constantly dazzled by the headlights. Once on the country lane it was much more pleasurable and I was passed by a group of 10 cyclists all lit up like Christmas trees out on a training ride. I was feeling alright so upped the pace a little and thought I might as well have another crack at logging a Magic Mile (as explained on Day 3). Mile 5 I put my foot down and made advantage of the downhill to the 'bottom' street. I had to weave my way round people going out for a meal or to the pub, probably not the best mile to try for a quick time. The 'Endomondo lady' sang out the mile time as 6:45, not too bad considering. I slowed down in the last mile and arrived back home for another 6 miles, this time 11 minutes quicker than the first run.

I am certainly enjoying the challenge as I had done with the Juneathon all those months ago. I have to admit I am impressed with all those taking part and the miles that they are logging. The blogs being written are a constant source of witty anecdotes and often a distraction from writing mine. More tomorrow...

Stats
Run 1
Distance: 6.10 miles
Time: 54:12
Run 2
Distance: 6.07 miles
Time: 43:50
Janathon Total Distance: 112.60 miles
Streak Total Distance: 1737 miles

1 comment:

  1. Looks like I'll have to go for a run at lunchtime today (he says, looking nervously over his shoulder)

    ReplyDelete