About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Wednesday 4 January 2012

Janathon Day 4 - Early Blast

I knew today was going to be a long day of meetings and then this evening I had a meeting at my son's High School. This meant the only chance was for a very early blast around the country lanes. I awoke before the alarm and a had a little 10 min snooze until 5am (yawn). After getting changed, eating a banana and then fiddling with my headtorch for 10 minutes to get it to work it was now 5:30, I really must get going I thought!

I figured I had enough time to slot in a 10 miler and be back for breakfast with the kids for their first day back at school. Off I went into the inky black darkness, the wind had died down considerably and the stars were out, a nice morning for running. The first couple of miles was along the main road, shielding my eyes from the motorists with their full beams on, I know how a rabbit must feel. Once onto the country lanes I upped the pace and ticked along at a nice sub 7 minute pace.

Once off the country lanes it was back onto the main road whereupon the Endomondo 'lady' signalled the 9th mile in 5:28, something was wrong here. I looked at the phone and could see the distance increasing at a far faster rate than the pace I was going at. This resulted in the 10th mile in 5:08 with still half a mile to go for the actual 10 miles. Looking at the stats when I got home I could see the tracking had a gone a tad haywire! Remarkably this is only the third time in over 250 runs this has happened, so I shouldn't really complain.

So 4 days down with 41 miles covered, an average of 10 miles per day. Maybe I could get to 300 miles, maybe not, it's still early days yet. More miles tomorrow...

Stats
Distance: 10.02 miles
Time: 1:11:51
Janathon Total Distance: 41.25 miles
Streak Total Distance: 1666 miles

1 comment:

  1. How do you do it?? Am looking at increasing my speed gradually as well as increase my miles - am doing 1st marathon this yr. Any tips?? Is speedwork, intervals the way forward?

    Fantastic results for 2011, hope 2012 is just as successful for you :)

    ReplyDelete