About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Saturday 7 January 2012

Janathon Day 7 - Mud aplenty and the mighty Macc


This afternoon my son and I were off to see the 'mighty' Macclesfield Town play Bolton in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. I wanted a lie-in as I had planned an early start on Sunday, so today I would just go out for an hour on my default 'off-road' route.

I donned my trusty 'old' but still usable Inov8's and headed out the door. If I thought yesterday was boggy then today was a real 'shoe sucker'. The route is all fields and tracks separated by a half mile of road at the beginning and end and the same in the middle. The fields started off soggy and continually got worse through the farm and on to the railway crossing. The crossing is literally over the rails and of all the times I've crossed I'd never seen a train until today. If everything went to plan I would be on this train back from my run tomorrow.

Anyway back to today and once across it was on to a farmers track and over the motorway. I was literally slogging it along at a heady 9 min pace! A short half mile up the road, time to shake off some of the mud that had built up and on to the last section of fields. I tried to creep past the house belonging to the two alsations! I must say they were on form today and went ballistic as soon as they spotted me. I put all my trust in the wooden gate they were being enclosed by. I thought 'maybe one of these was the bottom biter, the face looked familiar!'. The final couple of miles were uneventful and I finally trudged home, in just over an hour.

On to the afternoon and it was off to the Moss Rose stadium to see if Macclesfield could get past Bolton and into the fourth round for the first time in their 138 year history. It was a capacity crowd (nearly 6,000) and a very enjoyable match ensued. We stood on the good old fashioned terraces amid an onslaught of witty banter between the Macc and Bolton fans! In the end we managed a 2-2 draw, enough to earn a lucrative replay and be included in the draw tomorrow.

Sunday is long run day and the current plan is to run out towards Delamere and catch the train back to Knutsford. The distance will be determined on how I'm feeling and the time of the trains...

Stats
Distance: 7.45 miles
Time: 1:06:45
Janathon Total Distance: 63.92 miles
Streak Total Distance: 1689 miles

1 comment:

  1. You were unlucky today (reckon the pitch was in you favour though!). Will you be going to The Reebok? My team Everton had a decent win today (for a change).

    ReplyDelete