About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Janathon Day 25 - Turn right, then right again...


Tonight was the turn of one of my 'bread and butter' runs. A route that I have probably run over a 100 times. You essentially keep turning right at each junction until you complete a full circle of 8 miles. Clockwise, the direction I was running it tonight is marginally faster than the other way.

I really didn't fancy another run in the dark, oh how I long for those light evenings!! I knew once I was out there I would enjoy it as usual. Suffice it to say there were no surprises on the run, I could probably get round with my eyes closed. I had planned though to record another #MagicMile time as hosted by @LardyBoy2011 and his new account @LBMagicMile.

I knew in my mind that mile 5 was going to be the 'chosen one' as it starts on a gentle downward slope and is mainly flat along a narrow country lane. I gradually wound the pace up for the first 4 miles - 7:23, 7:11, 7:06, 7:03 then - bang we were off!! I cranked up the pace and had to concentrate on the pool of light being emitted by the headtorch. Arms pumping and hair flowing in the breeze (ok just arms pumping, I made the hair bit up) I edged my way along. I knew where the 5 mile marker was and just before I got there had to keep over for a passing car, valuable seconds lost!! I kept going and listened for the 'Endomondo Lady' to shout out the mile time - 6 minutes 10 seconds came the reply, ok we'll take that!!

The pace now seemed slower as I reverted back to normal speed and polished off the last 3 miles in 7:09, 7:23 and 7:12. This brought up the 8 miles again on this loop and now down to the last 6 days of the Janathon. I don't always listen to music whilst running but sometimes on a faster run it adds extra motivation. Tonight's Magic Mile was powered by the Foo Fighters and I leave you in their capable hands...


Stats
Distance: 8.01 miles
Time: 56:57
Janathon Total Distance: 243.39 miles
Streak Total Distance: 1866 miles






2 comments:

  1. Foo Fighters - fucking ace, if you'll pardon the language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6.10/mile in Janathon. That is insane. Great going. I can't imagine anybody is running quicker than you 25 days in.

    ReplyDelete