About Me

United Kingdom
A runner now for 17 years, started short then moved up to marathons. The last couple of years has seen the transition to ultras. The start of this blog begins with the Juneathon Challenge.

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Janathon Day 16 - The sub-zero run home


As the Janathon challenge entered its third week and the 'table of doom' was hotting up, I thought I would do one of my run commutes this week. With other commitments later in the week, running home today was the best option. The morning had started with a spectacular sunrise and equally impressive sunset, which inevitably heralded the drop in temperature. I was going to be in for a chilly excursion.

I had run the route home many times but only in spring and summer, with slight course variations taking on more or less off-road depending on the conditions. As this run was totally in the dark being lit only by my feeble headtorch most of the run would be on the small country lanes.

The first 3 miles were primarily off road to avoid the main road and notoriously dangerous 'Dark Lane'. The 3rd mile was particularly challenging as once through a farm a very deeply rutted path with frozen puddles presented itself culminating going thru some very dark woods, the nett effect being a 10:56 mile!

The next 2 miles put me back on the section where I would encounter the most traffic. I hugged the side of the lane and most drivers obliged by giving me a wide berth. I could feel it getting colder and would suddenly go through patches of colder air, the water in my camelbak was starting to freeze in the tube!

I crossed the A34 and onto the narrow country lane for the next 3 miles towards Chelford. For some reason this lane seems to record the lowest temperatures in winter and still holds the record for the lowest I have seen in my car of -16 degrees last January! Several cars passed me with them virtually mounting the grass verge and into the hedge to get round me!

Into the village of Chelford and I had covered 8.5 miles and knew I had another 5 to go. I was feeling quite cold now even though I had a hat and gloves on. I was visualising what I would have to eat once I got home. The next 3 miles passes 3 pubs, each one I passed emitted a warm glow with signs outside offering daily hot food. I could have easily entered one there and then a called it a night!! I ran past reluctantly knowing I had a job to get done.

I had been keeping a reasonable 7:30 pace for the last 8 miles and eased off in the final 2 which I have run along many a time. No sign of any dogs and finally stopped the phone at 13.6 miles for the evening...

Stats
Distance: 13.60 miles
Time: 1:47:23
Janathon Total Distance: 164.01 miles
Streak Total Distance: 1787 miles

1 comment:

  1. Well done that man, my commute is 20miles (18 if I take little roads) and one day I will run it, but definately not during either athon or the depths of winter. Again -well done

    ReplyDelete